Wednesday, May 25, 2016

100 Cats Project - Week 1

This first week of the 100 Cats Project has been interesting. I have two rules for this project so far, I want to draw cats and I want to learn how to ink in different techniques. But I never thought about style, not really, or the kind of cat I would be drawing. And yet, just in this first week, I feel I've been pulling myself into different themes and styles. 

I'm having a lot of fun which is great, and that was also the point of this project. Yes, I want to learn a drawing technique, but I am doing it for the sole purpose of my enjoyment. I think the last time I got into a project and enjoyed it this much was when I taught myself how to knit. It’s sad really, to go through life like that, it’s sad that many people still do it.

One of my many email subscriptions suggested the book “Big Magic”, by Elizabeth Gilbert. I loved “Eat, Pray, Love” (the book) and I loved her Ted talk about creativity. So I got the audiobook and it was great. It’s a combination of a self-help book and pure inspiration, and I can only recommend it to anyone, because creativity is not only for artists.

I can say today that I am all recovered from the funk that sank me for 6 years out of the pens and brushes, but at some point I felt like I wasted precious time and I should be so much better by now. But, right now, I understand that it took that long for me to realize that I don’t care what others say, I like drawing and painting and if others like what I make, it’s nice, but that’s not the goal, the goal is much more deep and important to me. And there’s no time limit or big goal to reach except keep doing it.

I hope you do read Big Magic and tell me what you think. Leave your comments, thoughts, opinions in the comments area. Thank you for reading and see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment