Friday, March 11, 2016

New skills help creativity




Back in Graphic Design school, one of my favorite classes was Typography, but since I was focusing so much in drawing and animation I let that interest a bit forgotten. It was until last year that I was looking for inspiration in other artist’s work and realized that a lot of them were using Lettering as part of an illustration. I got so excited! I love letters!!

I found two lettering classes in Skillshare: The First Steps of Hand-Lettering: Concept to Sketch (Lettering I) and Waterbrush Lettering Essentials and enrolled to both of them. But I must confess that I’m not done with them, I’ve found many more resources and discovered that Calligraphy is a big part of Lettering. So I took on that one too Calligraphy I: Writing in Classic Modern Script.

Long story short, I started practicing since February 13 in a normal notebook with the pens and pencils I had in hand (and I’ve been getting more every time I get an opportunity). In the beginning, it was very frustrating how my letters didn’t behave as expected but now, after almost a month, I can see real progress.

The best part is that I’ve already used my new skill in a birthday card and as I speak (or write) I have an illustration on the works with my very own handlettering as part on it. I’m very happy I found some other way to connect back to my creative process, all part of my Art recovery I talked about last week.


And I’m still looking for other ways to do art, something else that inspires me and get me out of the funk. Very recently I found out about zentangles, some people meditate with them but I just use them to get my pen moving and to stop my mind from telling me if it’s good or bad, it’s just a doodle!

Taking on a new skill is not easy but it definitely will help your creative process, even if you are not in a funk. Finding new ways for your creativity to flow will only make you a more rounded and happier artist. Get out of your comfort zone and enjoy being a beginner again.

No comments:

Post a Comment